Monday, August 1, 2011

Southern Soul

Looks like we will be going around the world this week in our quest for culinary delights. Last night we had an Oriental themed dinner ... which in the end, NOTHING was left LOL ... except the chicken bones, of course ... they even took bread and swiped up all the juices and sauces from everything....


For tonite's feast we will be having an authentic - and I do mean authentic - Southern dinner. I can say authentic, you know, since I AM a Southerner from an old Southern family *wink* ...

On the menu tonite:

Southern fried chicken
Cole Slaw
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Home made biscuits

Now, there are several different ways to make fried chicken. Some are better than others. The last time I made it I didnt put anything on it other than some seasoning salt and fried it in oil, which was pretty good. Usually, though, I dredge it in flour. Sometimes in milk, or milk and egg, and flour. Depends on just how I want it fixed. The key to a good fried chicken is this - about 10 minutes per side will give you a good color, crunch, and will cook it thoroughly. I also add (depending on my mood) garlic powder, onion powder, pinch of paprika ... but always salt and pepper to taste. Naturally (and I forgot to put this in yesterday's post) before actually cooking the chicken, I cut it into serving size pieces and then WASH them thoroughly. Especially the thigh parts, because while a few years ago the butcher would always clean them, lately they have been leaving all that fat, arteries and just ICK on them, so I always have to clean them thoroughly. Sometimes I will put them in a salt bath - cover them in water and add salt and let them soak. I would do that a couple of times - it helps to pull some excess blood out of the meat and also makes it more tender. And then of course, the final rinse before using it. The salt bath works with all meats, not just chicken, by the way.

The cole slaw I will be making tonite is the creamy version found in the Better Homes and Gardens famous red plaid cookbook, which basically consists of cabbage, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and celery salt. I rarely look at amounts; I basically am a cook by sight (and taste) person. So, mix it to your specifications. Some people prefer it really creamy and runny, others just enough creamy to hold it together.

Mashed potatoes are easy - just follow the directions on the Hungry Jack box. Yes, I could make it from scratch - but why? I will be busy enough frying chicken and doing other things to bother with the added nuisance of boiling and mashing potatoes. I usually make the instant thick and buttery with salt and pepper and a teaspoon of chicken bouillion for added flavor. Making it thick makes it more like home made.

The biscuits are also just a quick cookbook recipe; basically some flour, butter, milk and I think baking powder, I really must look at the book before making it. Since I dont have a biscuit cutter I normally just use a coffee mug to cut the biscuits out with, but I think they are a little large that way so tonite I am going to try using a wine glass instead.

The gravy is a basic milk gravy made after the chicken is finished frying: to the grease and drippings left in the pan, add some flour till its a thick mixture, then add milk and salt and pepper to the amount you want and wait for it to thicken.

Fairly simple, yet delicious ... I decided to take out TWO packs of chicken instead of the one I normally would have, since everyone loves fried chicken and it goes so quickly. Then again, IF there are any leftovers, they make a good midnight raiding the refrigerator snack or are equally good cold the next day.

Anyway, thats what we are having tonite in our neck of the woods .... Make it for yourself, and enjoy!

MMMM thats good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment