Monday, August 1, 2011

Chicken. It's what's for dinner. - from old blog

Tried to think of different ways to fix cabbage tonite, because I have to use it up before it goes bad. *wrinkling nose*


I thought: well, I could fry it (but I like it best fried with turkey or beef sausage, neither of which I have) ... or I could boil it with some corned beef, except I dont have any corned beef ... I could stuff it, but noone likes it that way, YUCK!

So, I decided on an oriental theme for tonite's dinner. Here's the menu as planned so far (these things can change at the last second, you know):

Oriental chicken
Sweet and Sour cabbage
Stir fried veggies
Rice
Tea

OK, now that I have that much planned out, here is how I am thinking of making them all.

Oriental Chicken:

I took out a package of chicken leg quaters to thaw. Once thawed, (which hopefully will be soon), I will marinate them in some ginger and soy sauce. At that point, I am still unsure as to whether or not I will coat them with flour and fry them, or put them into a casserole dish with some of my homemade "Mexiterranean" spices on top and bake them. Yes, I know, "Mexiterranean" spices dont sound like Oriental chicken really, but actually, would work quite well.

Then, I am planning on making a Sweet N Sour sauce to go with the chicken. I have three recipes to choose from: 1 cup white vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt; OR 1/3 cup white vinegar, 4 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, boiled, then add 2 teaspoon cornstarch and 4 teaspoons of water to it; OR 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1 tablespoon cornflour, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon ketchup. I guess I will just pick one on the spur of the moment.

Now, for the Sweet N Sour Cabbage:

I will heat about an inch of salted water (1/2 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of water) to boiling in a 10" skillet. Then I will take 1 small cabbage (cause that's what I have) and cut it into 6 wedges, and add it to the boiling water in the skillet, cover and heat it to boiling again before reducing the heat. Then, simmer till crisp - tender, about 15 to 20 minutes should do it. Then, take the cabbage out of the pan and put it onto a serving platter using a slotted spoon (if you have one); if not, try to drain off as much liquid back into the pan as you can before putting the cabbage on the plate. Then, add 1 tablespoon of Splenda (a sugar free sweetener that is really good) or you can add the same in regular table sugar, 3 tablespoons of white vinegar, 1 tablespoon of finely chopped onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon celery seed, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger to the remaining liquid in the pan. Stir till mixed and pour over the cabbage and serve. Good eating!

For the stir fried veggies I think I will look to see what I have on hand. I know I have some celery and carrots but not sure what else. I still need to look.

Rice, that's easy. Just fix it according to the directions on the box of Minute Rice. And as for tea, I always make tea, I was weaned on tea and so were all of my kids. I DEFINITELY know how to make a pitcher of tea. Of course, if you dont like tea, fix whatever you want to drink instead. Cooking (and eating!) shouldnt be a difficult chore, it should be enjoyable.

So thats what we're having for dinner in our neck of the woods tonite. What will you be having?

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment