Monday, August 1, 2011

Lamb

Lamb is a very tasty dish and is very easy to prepare. There are cooks out there that have a million and one ingredients, and say it has to be prepared "just so" and all this other nonsense. I have found that the easiest (not to mention the tastiest) way to fix lamb only takes 4 ingredients (5 if you count water in the bottom of the pan).

You start with your leg of lamb (bone in or out as you please). Put it in a roasting pan. Easy, right?

Next, drizzle it with a little bit of oil (I use olive oil). Still easy, right?

Next, you sprinkle it liberally with salt (lamb absorbs the salt, so add a little more than you think it needs) - optional: you can omit this step - yes, I said you can omit! - and just add salt to the lamb when it is on your plate, to taste. Hanging in there with me?

Next step: Sprinkle it with rosemary (I used dried). I rub the rosemary between my fingers as I sprinkle it on; that helps release the natural oils in the rosemary, making it more fragrant and flavorful. Still with me? We are almost done!

Last ingredient: Garlic. Powdered, minced, however you like it; a little or a lot. I like a lot, so I use both powdered and minced. If you don't like garlic, no worries! Don't add it. You are cooking for you, you know; feel free to add or omit ingredients as you like to make a recipe truly your own. This is just MY way of making lamb.

Add about an inch or so of water to the bottom of the pan, cover, and put it in the oven to bake at around 325 - 350 (as ovens vary; you want to cook it slow). Depending on the size of your lamb, cook it until it is done and tender. That could take an hour, two ... like I said, it all depends on the size of your lamb and the temp you cook it at.

Simple! and ... Extremely tasty!

Now, some people like to eat their lamb with mint jelly ... I can't stand it that way. I just slice the lamb and serve it with potatoes and broccoli, a nice salad (I am currently hooked on the Dole Asian Salad in a bag, found in my grocer's refrigerated produce section) and some fresh, home baked bread. Sometimes I will also make a gravy from the drippings in the pan. But that's it! Simple, tasty lamb anyone can make.

NOW ...

If you didn't get a leg of lamb, but some chops, you can do the same thing; salt, oil, rosemary, garlic, fry in frying pan till done ... lamb burger, same thing: salt, oil, rosemary, garlic, mix together, make patties, fry (or bake, or grill); lamb kabobs: oil, salt, rosemary, garlic, and you can add things like mushrooms and bell peppers and onions to the kabobs.

Once you have the basics, you can't miss.

Now, go out and fix some lamb!

No comments:

Post a Comment