Monday, August 1, 2011

Country Captain

Here is my recipe for Country Captain. It's really good!

2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 chickens (3 1/2 pounds each), each cut into 8 pieces and skin removed from all but wings
2 medium onions, chopped
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
3 Tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes in puree
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth OR 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dark seedless raisins
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

In nonreactive 8 quart Dutch oven, heat 2 Tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add chicken, in batches, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken pieces to bowl or plate as they are browned.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In same Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, apple, green pepper, garlic, and ginger; cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 5 minutes longer.

Stir in curry powder, black pepper, and cumin; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes with their puree, broth, raisins, salt, and chicken pieces. Heat to boiling over high heat; boil 1 minute. Cover and place in oven. Bake 1 hour. Sprinkle with parsley.

Makes 8 main dish servings.

***************************

The first time that I made this I didn't have a Dutch oven or a pan big enough to hold it all in, so I improvised. I do that a lot. Thinking back, I believe that I browned the chicken in the biggest fry pan I had and after they were browned I put them into a casserole dish, then after cooking the rest of the ingredients in the pan I simply poured it over the chicken, then baked it. I don't remember if I put aluminum foil on top or if I just baked it without a covering. Anyway, it turned out fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment