Monday, August 1, 2011

Lamb or Veal Stew

Here is a recipe I found that I haven't yet tried, although it sounds good.

3 pounds lamb or veal
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion sliced
1/2 clove garlic sliced or crushed
1 1/2 cups rose wine**
1 cup water
1 small can tomato paste
1 carrot peeled and sliced
6 morel mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Brown lamb. Add onion and garlic and saute' until soft. Add wine**, water, tomato paste, oregano, and boil. Toss in carrot and mushrooms. Cover and cook low - med for 1 - 2 hours or until the meat is done and tender. 15 minutes before serving, mix egg yolks and cream. Slowly stir into stew but do not boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

** Instead of wine you can use Diet Rite white grape or red raspberry cola.

Now, with the recipe said and done, I would probably change a few things. Here is what I would probably do:

Instead of morel mushrooms, I'd probably just get some regular white mushrooms; the kind you can find in the produce section of any supermarket. I would probably eliminate the wine completely; I might try the Diet Rite Red Raspberry cola. I would also eliminate the egg yolks and heavy cream, being lactose intolerant as well as Jewish - and there's that whole not mixing meat with milk thing.

Like I said, I haven't tried this one yet. Once I try it, I can probably tweak it further.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment